Even with cold temperatures daily, many thoughts are turning to designing and building a new home when weather warms up. Hopefully, if this is the case, you’ve done some homework and are working with someone already. If not, it’s time to get your thoughts in order and start the process.
Below are a few tips for jump starting your journey to design and build your home.
- Couples should sit down together and talk about the type, size, and style that you’d line to build…and your budget…come to an agreement on the budget.
- Spend some time online and looking at books to get a feel for both the interior and exterior style that you find most appealing. Bookmark these photos or scan them in and save the images in a “new home” folder.
- Make a list of the items that “must” be included and a list “wants”. Find a commonality for these lists and make this your starting place for design.
- Define the space and how you’ll use it.
- Contact two or three companies that communicate their services and homes well. The Internet is a great resource here. Visit websites and see how much information they share and how you relate to it.
- Discuss their design and build process and find out how they work with their clients through this process.
- Jump in with both feet. This process isn’t something that you should wade into with fear and trepidation, its a process that should be fun and exciting and something that you’ll look back on with a smile.